Contact Our Office At (855) 208-3650 For A Free Phone Consultation


Parental Relocation and Moving Away

Changes in Child Custody and Relocation

Are You Moving After You’ve Divorced?

Law Offices of Jeffrey M. Bloom | West New York

Get Help When One Parent Moves After a Divorce

Americans live in a mobile society. We are accustomed to moving for a better job, to be near aging parents, or to get our children into a better school district. Most people think nothing of it. However, New Jersey law requires that both parents — either married, divorced, or unmarried — consent to the removal of the child from the state. When they cannot agree, the family court becomes involved in developing a relocation agreement.


Jeffrey M. Bloom represents either parent in relocation matters. We act for parents who wish to move away from the area and for parents who oppose the relocation of their ex-spouse and children. In either case, we advise and counsel clients on the best interests of their children in parental relocation cases. For more information about New Jersey law related to parental relocation, contact our lawyer, Jeffrey M. Bloom. We take cases in Hudson County, Bergen County and throughout northern New Jersey and West New York.


The goal of New Jersey law on relocation is to preserve the rights of noncustodial parents, many of whom may no longer be able to be involved in the lives of his or her children should a relocation take place. The burden of proof is on the relocating parent to demonstrate why a move-away should be allowed.

Parental Relocation and Moving Away

When deciding on a move-away motion, the court examines factors such as:

  • The reasons for moving
  • The reasons for opposing the move
  • Whether the relationship between the parents is affecting their reasons for opposing the move
  • Family members living near both the current home and the proposed new home
  • Whether the child will receive equal educational, health, and leisure opportunities to those in the present location
  • Whether the new location can accommodate any special needs of the children
  • Whether it will be possible to develop a visitation and communication schedule that will allow the noncustodial parent to maintain a full and continuous relationship with the child
  • The probability that the custodial parent will continue to foster the child’s relationship with the non-custodial parent if the move is allowed
  • The effect of the move on extended family relationships
  • The preferences of the child, unless he or she is entering the senior year in high school, when the courts generally oppose relocation
  • Whether the non-custodial parent can also relocate

Contact Jeffrey M. Bloom For Advice on Parental Relocation

To learn more about a move away after a divorce, contact our law office in West New York, call (855) 208-3650. We have been advising people on difficult issues since 1988. Let us use the 25 years of experience to help you. We serve New Jersey communities such as Weehawken, Ridgewood, and Jersey City.

Text Us
Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U