Contact Our Office At (855) 208-3650 For A Free Phone Consultation

Can I Pursue a Modification of the Original Child Support Agreement?

West New York NJ Alimony Attorney | Jeffrey M. Bloom

When parents divorce, matters associated with the children will typically be some of the most hotly contested issues. One of these is child support. In most instances, the court will order the non-custodial parent to pay child support to the parent who is granted primary child custody. The purpose of child support is to ensure that both parents financially contribute to the essential needs of the children.

Over time, the circumstances of one or both parents may change, warranting a modification of the original child support provisions. It is important to understand that you and your spouse cannot just decide to change the terms of child support on your own. You must seek a modification through the court.

Common reasons why a modification of child support may be granted include:

  • Change in income of one or both parents
  • Change in the financial needs of the child
  • Job loss by one parent
  • Change in living situation of one parent
  • When you are your ex-spouse seek a modification in child support, the court will make their decision based on what is in the best interests of your children.

If you need assistance with a child support modification matter, it is important to have an experienced family law attorney on your side. Jeffrey M. Bloom has helped parents in Hudson and Bergen Counties handle child support modification issues since 1988. He will fight aggressively to ensure the best interests of you and your children are protected every step of the way.

Please contact the Law Offices of Jeffrey M. Bloom today to schedule your initial child support modification consultation. We have offices conveniently located in West New York.

Text Us
Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U